[CIS-PAGID] liver abscess and aortitis?

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Sat Oct 16 15:46:05 EDT 2010

Dear Yae Jean, good evening

The possibility of CMCC seems distant to me too, as usually CMCC
patients present persistent and relapsing mucocutaneous Candida
infections after 12 months of age (I only reminded about some cases
with arteritis).

OK, the repetition of immunological tests is sometimes fundamental for
a correct diagnosis, such as low levels of hemolytic complement in an
acute infection that normalizes after remission of the infectious
episode, for example.

The possibility of a normal child affected by a severe infection in
the context of the physiological immunodeficiency of infancy cannot be
ruled out, certainly.

About the possibility of BCGosis, it does not occur in all cases of
CGD and even in MSMD due to IL-12/23/IFN-gamma axis defects. Only time
will answer to this question. The clinical features do not resemble
those presented by SCID patients. Moreover only occasional NEMO
patients present BCGosis. MyD88 and IRAK-4 patients are not prone to
BCGitis.

We use PMA (phorbol myristil acetate) to stimulate blood cells in the
DHR test, which is a very aggressive stimulation (on our hands at
least 80% of the neutrophils are stimulated and with a MFI of at least
200). fMLP is very interesting to stimulate for chemotaxis assays.

All the best,

Dewton Vasconcelos
University of São Paulo Medical School

Citando ??? <yaejeankim at skku.edu>:

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for the responses so far, everybody.

The pt does not have any episodes of candida infection so I guess the
possibility for CMCC seems low.

I talked to my lab medcine colleague and we plan to repeat the DHR
test again. The baby looks perfectly well and looks like a normal
healthy child unless you hear about the US/MRI report...(good weight
gain, no abnormal face or other physical morphology...).

Echo was done twice (normal). Our cardiology guys are nation-number
ones so I trust their echo expertise..We talked to pediatric radiology
people, vascular surgery people...but no surgery was ever
recommended...

By the way, I have another question. The baby already received BCG at
his first month of life since that is our part of routine childhood
immunization in Korea... However, the baby did not develop any
complications after the BCG vaccination, yet.. if in fact, he had any
of those CGD, NEMO, MYD88, IRAK 4 problems...I would bet he already
developed some mycobacterial abscess, osteo, or more serious forms or
diseeminated type infection etc... what do you think? if AR CGD,
maybe not that severe infection? Liver abscess biopsy was negative
for AFB, TB PCR and no caseation necrosis...

Congenital neutropenia..hmmm...I will bear the possibility in my
mind.

Anyway, I will repeat the test and this time I will check the raw
data myself.

They use PHA to stimulate the cells for DHR test in our hospital lab.
Does it matter a lot whether to use PHA or fMLP when you do DHR test?

Thanks a lot. I will give you more updates.

YaeJean

-------------------------
????: Pere Soler Palacin [psoler at vhebron.net]
????: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
? ?: 2010? 10? 17?(?) 01:41:20
? ?: Re: [CIS-PAGID] liver abscess and aortitis?

Dear all, I wonder if the real problem is repeated embolisms from
septic arteritis and suspicion of PID should be a second step. Has
surgical treatment been considered in this case? Has congenital heart
defects been ruled out?

Yours,

Pere.

Pere Soler Palacín MD

Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Immunodeficiencies Unit.

Vall d'Hebron Hospital, Barcelona, Spain.