[CIS-PAGID] low ch50 with normal complement levels?

Anita Gewurz agewurz at rush.edu
Mon Nov 15 21:25:55 EST 2010

Dear Ashish,

Like Drs. Vasconceles and Gonzalez, I suspect the problem is
homozygous C2 deficiency and would also check the AH50.

Undetectable CH50 levels can certainly result from complement
activation, as suggested by Dr. Verbsky, but in the situation you
describe a congenital C defect is most likely. Homozygous deficiency
of an early-acting classical or mannose-binding lectin pathway
component may present in infancy with infection or lupus-like
disease. Normal alternative pathway hemolytic activity (AH50)
excludes deficiency of C3, C5, C6, C7, C8 or C9.

Patricia Giclas PhD, Director of the Complement Laboratory at National
Jewish can help http://www.nationaljewish.org/research/diagnostics/adx/labs/complement.aspx
.

Sincerely,

Anita Gewurz MD