[CIS-PAGID] Infant with lymphopenia, elevated IgG and IgM, bony changes, PCP

Tamara Pozos Tamara.Pozos at childrensmn.org
Wed Dec 1 22:09:58 EST 2010

Thanks back Jason!
1) Anemia thought to be partly the thal trait, plus some destruction - normal marrow, good retics - she was transfused for the Hgb of 7.
Haven't checked antiplatelet antibodies. Thrombocytopenia is improving with steroids, now ~400.
2) CRP was about 4 on presentation, peaked at 9 with PCP, now normal. ESR very low, 10, then 2.
3) 2 mo vaccinations were given, and vaccine titers pending.
tcp

>>> <raas0027 at umn.edu> 12/01/10 7:50 PM >>>

Tam, interesting case and thanks for posting.

- Sorry if I missed it but any evidence the anemia and thrombocytopenia are
autoimmune?

- ESR and CRP?

- Receive any immunizations yet? Even after one dose of conjugated
vaccine(s) some specific antibody might be seen.

-OMENN SYNDROME is almost always a consideration. RAG1/RAG2 mutation
phenotypes vary for sure. Activated T-cells and upper-limit normal RO,
autoimmune cytopenias (if present in this patient), lymphopenia,
LAD/splenomegaly, dermatitis, dysgammaglobulinemia all can be seen in OS.
Skin findings in OS are variable. RAG1/RAG2 mutation analysis seems a
reasonable candidate for the "to do" list.

- True Job (STAT-3) of course can have a newborn rash. IgE and eosinophilia
may not appear until months later. Doesn't really fit but list of immune
disorders with NB rash is fairly short and easy to at least entertain.

- GOod thought and agree that the newborn pustular rash/panniculitis and
bone abnormalities could be suggestive of an autoinflammatory disorder such
as IL-1RA deficiency/mutation. I think we'll find heterogenity in these
disorders as well (just as in HIDS, TRAPS, FMF, etc.). [Wonder if increased
IL-2, ferritin, etc are seen in these disorders?] I wouldn't entirly
dismiss this just yet.

Wouldn't explain PCP or HLH-like findings for instance but as these types
of disorders are also heterogeneous there may be a few processes going on
at once. E.g. HLH or PCP secondary.

- Also interested to hear feedback from the community about NK cell defects
and "Hyper IgM" disorders.

jason

Jason Raasch, MD

--
Jason Raasch, MD

Midwest Immunology Clinic
15700 37th Ave N
Suite 110
Plymouth, MN 55446

(Phone) 763.577.0008
(FAX) 763.5770192

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential
and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of
this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her
agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you
have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and deleting this email or
destroying this facsimile immediately.