[CIS-PAGID] Adult with recurrent "Zoster"

Colin Freccia Colin_Freccia at Rush.Edu
Thu Dec 30 11:10:35 EST 2010

Dr. Church, you asked about any similar cases to the "Adult with recurrent Zoster"...

I sent out the following case about 6-8 months ago to the listserv:

****
17YO Caucasian male with a painful, recurrent, vesicular cutaneous eruption (HSV-1 positive by PCR on multiple occasions, VZV not detected) involving the forehead only. Since January 2009 he has had 7-8 localized recurrences despite suppressive doses of valacyclovir, taken as directed, and severe post-herpetic neuralgia requiring pain management and a recent trigeminal nerve block. The only known risk factors are moderate-to-severe eczema as a young child, resolved, with residual xerosis; uncomplicated chickenpox in early childhood, and aseptic meningitis without sequela at age 10; otherwise healthy, without genital herpes. No family history of similar illness or immune deficiency disease.

Pertinent laboratory tests:
- CBC: WBC 5000/mcL, absolute neutrophils 2000, lymphocytes 1580, monocytes 440, eosinophils 870 and basophils 40
- quantitative IgGAM all normal; IgE 3200 U/L
- negative HIV antibody screen
- lymphocyte flow cytometry immunophenotyping: ALC 1269 (1140-4430/mcL), CD19+ 203 (34-1019), CD3+ 964 (638-3721), CD4+ 546 (364-2659), CD8+ 381 (239-1728) and CD56+ 38 (23-797)
- in vitro PBMC mitogen stimulation: slightly low responses to PHA and PWM, low to ConA
- anergy to candida DHS skin test
****
Just as a follow-up on that case: I've been a bit out of touch with this former 17 yo patient, but when I last spoke with his family a few months ago he had been doing well after unilateral trigeminal nerve block. At that time, he had only one side of the forehead blocked with good results, and he was scheduled for a contralateral block soon after. His biggest issue was pain management, so the family and patient were quite pleased with the results of the unilateral block. A recommendation from Dr. Sorensen through the listserv was to consider vitamin D treatment, specifically high-dose vitamin D - he referenced the review in JACI 2008; 122; 261-6. We did check the patient's vitamin D levels, and he was, at least, insufficient (25OHD concentration 20-30 ng/mL) if memory serves me correctly. While we didn't opt for high-dose therapy at the time, we did recommend standard therapy of 1000 units of vitamin D3 daily.
Hope that helps!
-Colin

--
Colin Freccia, MD - Fellow