[CIS-PAGID] 16 year old with recurrent pneumonias and low CH50

Giclas, Patsy GiclasP at NJHealth.org
Thu Dec 30 16:30:39 EST 2010

Hi Mike,

We are still in the development phase for the C4 gene-copy number assay but getting closer! I'd be happy to put a tube of his whole blood (EDTA) into the queue for the next go, but it would be strictly RUO. As you know we have had problems with the assay for a while. Meantime, I'd look at the C4 functionally again since that's more sensitive. Remember that C4 has two forms: C4A and C4B. The former binds to amino groups on proteins and is associated more with RA through decreased immune complex clearance. The latter binds preferentially to -CHO residues and its deficiency is more likely to be found in patients with infections. There are usually 2 genes for each form, making 4 the "normal" gene copy number, but there is wide variability in the population, ranging from no C4 genes to more than 7. C Yung Yu in Columbus Ohio has published widely on this topic, and he may still be willing to do the test (also RUO).

Best regards,

Patsy

Patricia C. Giclas, PhD
Director, Diagnostic Complement Laboratory
Professor, Pediatric Allergy and Immunology
National Jewish Health
1400 Jackson
Denver Colorado, 80206 USA
office 303-398-1217
Fax 303-270-2128
email giclasp at njhealth.org
From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org [pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org] On Behalf Of M CLAYTON [mhclayton at msn.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:27 AM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: Re: [CIS-PAGID] 16 year old with recurrent pneumonias and low CH50

Hi Patsy:

Thanks for your comments. This has been a frustrating case- apart from the mixed lab results, he has been exceptionally difficult to get in for followup, and his workup has been done piecemeal in two different hospitals, orchestrated through different providers and labs. The normal AH50 was run through the Mayo lab while he was acutely ill with the most recent pneumonia. The recent C4 was a quantitative analysis rather than the functional assay. The MBL assay was WNL=44.3 (>5.0 ng/ml). Can you do the genetic analysis for C4 genes? As for the RA, I am trying to get him in to see the rheumatologist. Happily, he has had a good winter, so far.

Michael H. Clayton, MD, MPH
Assistant Clinical Professor
UNM Dept. of Pediatrics