[CIS-PAGID] Asymptomatic hypogammaglobulinemia

Lengkeek, Marguerite S. LCDR Marguerite.Lengkeek at med.navy.mil
Thu Dec 30 18:31:26 EST 2010

Have you checked for any secondary loss of protein/immunoglobulin? Does he
have any GI symptoms that might cause a protein losing enteropathy? Have
you considered ordering stool alpha 1 anti-trypsin and urine protein or
UPEP?

The other cases with the almost absent Ig run the risk of their first
infections being severe ones. I follow 2 CVID patients that were
misdiagnosed until their 60s. One was picked up after H. flu meningitis with
gross pus from his spinal tap and a week in the ICU comatose on a vent. The
other was picked up after S. pneumoniae sepsis. They did have infections
(sinusitis and PNA) previously, so they may be different.

Sincerely,

Marguerite S. Lengkeek, MD
LCDR, MC, USN
Division Head, Allergy and Immunology