[CIS-PAGID] panhypogamm in a 22 yo

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Tue Apr 5 09:24:09 EDT 2011

You could try Sub-cu IgG with Hizentra, which has very low IgA.

Has he had endoscopy ? We have had a couple of patients with severe lymphonodular hyperplasia in the intestines, which had a lot of plasmacytoid elements. They were losing a lot of protein and lymphocytes into the gut, and one in particular, was referred because of difficulty keeping up his serum IgG despite relatively high IV doses. He had already had splenectomy for hemolytic anemia, and problems wityh steroids. When he was given Rituxin for a flare of the hemolytic anemia, his IgG markedly went up, and his dose could be reduced. Presumeably, the rituxin killed the B-lineage cells in his gut, and his leaking got much better.

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Adjunct Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Nancy Kingston
Sent: Mon 4/4/2011 3:37 PM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: Re: [CIS-PAGID] panhypogamm in a 22 yo

Dear Colleagues,
An interesting patient was recently referred to me from an oncology colleague who had been seeing him for autoimmune neutropenia and thrombocytopenia. He had also treated him for panhypogammaglobulinemia with Gammagard. He was having anaphylaxis to the product and so replacement IgG was stopped.He had been previously dx'd with CVID.

The patient's chief complaint is not infections at all. He comes with a history mainly of autoimmune cytopenias, on Mepron, Cellcept, and prednisone. He also has diarrhea fatigue and a 60 pound weight loss in the last couple of years. CBC/diff is currently ok. No endocrine issues or rashes. The patient and his family had previously been advised to not get primary immunizations.

No family hx of immune defect or consanguinity

Has had mild splenomegaly, no hepatomegaly.
He has had his tonsils and appendix removed.

Recent labs:
IgG 74-77 (578-1228 mg/dl)
IgA <6 (59-337 mg/dl)
IgM <4-9 (23-166 mg/dl)
IgE <4 (0-150 mg/dl)
Anti-IgA Ab IgG-377.6 (<52 U neg)
CD3, CD4, CD8, CD19 total numbers are WNL
CD16 abs # 23 (24-911)
Decreased NK cell function by the Cincinnati lab
No antibody titers for H. influenza, tetanus, 23 serotypes of S. pneumonia, or EBV.
Total complement is normal.
Hx of Negative ALPS testing.

I would appreciate any further opinions you might share regarding gammaglobulin replacement and/or testing for this patient.
Thank you for your input.
Nancy Wasserbauer, DO
Akron Children's Hospital Dept of Allergy and Immunology

Visit us at www.UHhospitals.org.

The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the
use of the addressee only. University Hospitals and its affiliates disclaim
any responsibility for unauthorized disclosure of this information to anyone
other than the addressee.

Federal and Ohio law protect patient medical information, including
psychiatric_disorders, (H.I.V) test results, A.I.Ds-related conditions,
alcohol, and/or drug_dependence or abuse disclosed in this email. Federal
regulation (42 CFR Part 2) and Ohio Revised Code section 5122.31 and
3701.243 prohibit disclosure of this information without the specific
written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted
by law.