[CIS-PAGID] Duration of treatment for Crohn's in XLA

Prof. Dr. Antonio Condino Neto condino at icb.usp.br
Sat Apr 9 09:42:30 EDT 2011

A current hypothesis tells that cytokines are destroyed in macrophages
in CD, and these cells are unable to control microrganisms in GI tract.

Perhaps BTK or a BTK-dependent molecule may have a role on cytokine
expression in macrophages.
--
Antonio Condino-Neto
Professor of Experimental Medicine

Citando "Torgerson, Troy" <troy.torgerson at seattlechildrens.org>:

> We have/had 3 patients with XLA and significant IBD that has been

> labeled as "Crohn's" disease - Jack's question of whether it is

> really Crohn's disease is a good one. In general, the bowel disease

> does not improve with IVIG, even combining IVIG with oral IgG (yes,

> we tried it). It does seem to improve with other immune suppression

> that is often used to treat IBD such as azathioprine but we have

> been very worried about suppressing T cell immunity after one of our

> patients developed degenerative CNS disease and was subsequently

> found to have astrovirus in the brain tissue. Once the bowel

> disease starts, our experience has been that it is very difficult to

> get patients off their immune suppression because the bowel disease

> revs up again as meds are tapered.

> Hans has told me a number of times that before the etiology of XLA

> was known, he used to do rectal suction biopsies on all of the XLA

> kids and virtually all of them had crypt abscesses even in the

> absence of overt gut disease - they often used this as one of the

> diagnostic clues. It is intriguing to think about what might be

> different in the pathophysiology and histopathology of patients with

> bowel disease caused by lack of Tregs (IPEX) vs. that caused by lack

> of B cells (XLA) vs. that caused by lack of functional neutrophils

> (CGD).

> TT

> Troy R. Torgerson, MD PhD

> Assistant Professor, Pediatric Immunology/Rheumatology

> Co-Director Immunology Diagnostic Laboratory (IDL)

> University of Washington & Seattle Children's Hospital

> Center for Immunity and Immunotherapies

> Seattle Children's Research Institute

> 1900 9th Ave., C9S-7

> Seattle, WA 98101-1304

> Tel: (206) 987-7450

> Fax: (206) 987-7310

> On 4/8/11 9:14 AM, "Jack Bleesing" <Jack.Bleesing at cchmc.org> wrote:

> Question out of relative ignorance! Why the surprise? Is Crohn's

> purely an autoimmune disease in the "classical" sense? And is it

> really Crohn's disease in the classical sense?

>>> Duke. I assumed the care of two young men, one in his early

>>> twenties, and one

>>> in his thirties, both of whom have XLA and ESRD due to an a immune-mediated

>>> kidney lesion like FSGS but with nonspecific pathology. The older one also

>>> had a very aggressive form of granulomatous Crohn's-like gut inflammation

>>> which had been treated with surgical resection in the past and

>>> more recently

>>> TNF inhibition.

>>> FWIW.

>>> Brian Vickery, MD

>>> Division of Pediatric Allergy & Immunology

>>> Duke University Medical Center

>>> DUMC Box 2644, Durham NC 27710

>>> 919.681.2949

>>> "Email should NOT be used for urgent medical issues. The

>>> information in this

>>> electronic mail is sensitive, protected information intended only for the

>>> addressee(s). Any other person, including anyone who believes he/she might