[CIS-PAGID] Heart Tranplant in CVID

Jason W. Caldwell jcaldwel at wfubmc.edu
Wed Apr 27 17:35:04 EDT 2011

All the thoughts are greatly appreciated. I should clarify several things. Diagnosed in 2002 (DOB 1994) with "CVID". IgG in the 300s on several occasions with no pneumococcal response. IgA was also low at that time. Tetanus titer was present prior to being put on replacement, but was decreasing on several repeats. Prior to being placed on IVIG he has at least multiple pneumonias and his first interaction with the immunology group here was for a severe pneumonia requiring hospitalization and IV antibiotics to clear. He also had OM and sinus disease reported in the record. (I have not be able to talk to mom or dad. His social situation is terrible and likely part of the reason for his progressive heart failure, foster care is definitely already on the table. In 2002 he was placed on IVIG. When he returned to clinic in 2007 he had been off IVIG for at least a year and his IgG was 298. He was revaccinated and had no response to tetanus or diphtheria or pneumococcus. His IgA was low at that visit. Chest imaging in 2002 had shown bronchiectatic changes and a chest film in 2007 demonstrated persistent bronchiectatic changes in left lower lobe. At that time (2007) and echo was done showing stable mild to moderate LV dysfunction at that time he was on dig and catipril. For this admission the patient and the parents have admitted to not taking his cardiac meds for some time. His presentation was respiratory distress with pneumonia. I questioned the diagnosis of CVID (as I always question the diagnosis reported in the chart) when I saw him a few days ago. When I was asked to see him he was critically ill with undetectable IgG. Unfortunately, I cannot make a definitive diagnosis of CVID at this time. I hope this history helps to clarify his clinical course over the years. I don't think that his hypogam can be total explained by protein loss secondary to his past history. Although I do not take for granted a diagnosis reported in a chart, I believe I will still be faced with the question of immune deficiency, since it is the chart, as he is evaluated for transplantation.

Thanks again for the comments!

Jason Cadlwell