[CIS-PAGID] PCP pneumonia and steroids

Chinen, Javier jxchinen at texaschildrens.org
Thu May 19 09:53:47 EDT 2011

The course of PCP pneumonia is not always predictable. I don't take chances and sometimes it is too late if the decision of adding steroids take too long. Without lung function, BMT outcomes are poor.
I am not sure if there is a rationale for not taking the experience of PCP in HIV patients for SCID or HIM, becuase they are different immunodeficiencies. The inflammatory responses are similarly conserved or altered. An infection that behave different in HIM is cryptosporidium, which leads to biliary cirrhosis, not common in HIV, and likely different immunopathogenesis.
IMHO,

Javier