[CIS-PAGID] Cryptosporidium in CD40L

Notarangelo, Luigi Luigi.Notarangelo at childrens.harvard.edu
Sun May 22 13:12:46 EDT 2011

Hi Jennifer:

In addition to what we discussed already by phone, here is what I do in such cases for monitoring:

- LFT (including cholestasis) and bilirubin every 3 months
- liver US (every 6-12 months)
- I check for crypto in the stools, but best is by PCR. I used to send this out to Jim McLauchlin in London. Culture from stools is not sensitive enough
- functional cholangio-MRI may be used as an alternative to cholangiography to detect signs of sclerosing cholangitis. Indeed, cholangio-MRI is safer and I recommend it
- eventually, if there are doubts of severe liver/biliary tract disease, you will need a liver biopsy. Vanishing bile duct disease will be the first step before progressing to sclerosing cholangitis

In my experience severe diarrhea due to crypto is a real problem. You are doing all what can be donein terms of medical management. Make sure you keep high trough IgG as well. TPN may be required if absorption is poor, but in the long term it aggravates risks of bile duct disease.
If you find a good MUD, a non-depleted BMT (so that you also provide T cells) is the best approach, while continuing treatment for crypto.

Gigi

Luigi D. Notarangelo
Children's Hospital Boston