[CIS-PAGID] Cryptosporidium in CD40L

Nelson, Robert P Jr ronelson at iupui.edu
Mon May 23 08:57:39 EDT 2011

Dear Jennifer,

I asked our immunocompromised host infectious disease person and got the following:

"Bob,

Have used same drugs already listed......other than this....some (not me) had used bovine colostrum...earlier in AIDS epidemic as there is high titer antibody against cryptosporidium....but I am not sure if there is any reasonable preparation.

Mitch"

I think that MUD transplant is how we would approach this and doubt whether the infection will clear without immunological reconstitution. The conditioning strategy would be key with respect to engraftment/incitement of further liver injury/GVHD rate-severity and tempo of immunological reconstitution. Different centers would address this differently given that there is not a standard and the devil in this case in my opinion is in the details, other than considering an ATG-containing regimen as a poor choice.

Would be happy to talk with you if you feel like it.

Bob

Robert P. Nelson Jr., MD
Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics
Divisions of Hematology/Oncology