[CIS-PAGID] (no subject)

Terri Tarrant tarra002 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 13:32:34 EDT 2011

We have experience with Rituximab in primary CVID, and all patients have
done well. We have used it for RA mostly, but also have one collagenous
colitis, several ITP, a LIP, and a CNS granulomatous disesase associated
CVID patient that did well without infectious problems. I wonder given that
your patient received cyclophosphamide whether or not he is a secondary
immunodeficient from the medication since case reports have been described
of vasculitis patients treated with cytoxan, anti-epilepsy medications, etc.
who developed hypogam with or without lymphopenia. We reviewed this topic
in SLE (J Rheumatol. <javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'J Rheumatol.');> 2003
Feb;30(2):412-4. PMID 12563705) and found that patients went into remission
of their vasculitis if secondary lymphopenia was present. Have you run flow
cytometry on this patient since becoming active with ANCA vasculitis? I'd
be curious to know if the lymphopenia and CD19/CD20 deficiency is still
present particularly if the ANCAs have returned in high titer. If the renal
disease is the predominant recurrence, you could ask your pathologist to
stain the renal biopsy for anti-CD20 to see if B cells are localizing to the
tissue rather than the blood.

Terri Tarrant, MD
Rheumatology, Allergy, Immunology
University of North Carolina