[CIS-PAGID] gut protein leak - severe lymphopenia

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Tue Jun 21 20:15:38 EDT 2011

Dear Pedro, good evening

Another approach that we sometimes use to evaluate protein leakage is
to use radioactive albumin to look for the location of the protein
leak. You can ask for your nuclear medicine department to inject
radiolabeled albumin and evaluate by scintillography at several times
trying to find the location. We have been lucky for some patients with
localized intestinal lymphangiectasia which could be submitted to
partial enterectomy and significant improvement of the clinical
features.

We are nowadays following a patient with primary lymphedema and
significant T cell lymphopenia and hypogammaglobulinemia (like your
patient), and relapsing ganglionar mycobacteriosis, responsive to
continuous antimicrobial therapy.

On the other hand we follow-up some patients presenting idiopathic CD4
lymphopenia (with CD4 between 30 and 100) without any infection,
despite the continuous exposure (one of them is a nurse in an
infectology hospital). This patient present normal lymphoproliferative
response to several antigens, including PPD and CMV.

Regards,

Dewton Vasconcelos
University of São Paulo School of Medicine