[CIS-PAGID] a newborn with an extensive skin lesions

YaeJean Kim yaejeankim at skku.edu
Thu Jul 7 08:55:33 EDT 2011

Dear All,

I have a question about a neonate with severe skin lesions.

40 days old female full-term baby who presented with whole body rash since
day 3 after birth.
She has been treated multiple rounds of antibiotics for r/o sepsis
(leukocytosis and high CRP, no pathogen, skin lesion) and was transferred to
our NICU.

No significant birth hx (full-term, 2.8 kg, vaginal delivery), or family hx
of PID.

On arrivail, extensive skin lesions and striking leukocytosis continued
6/14/2011 WBC 39.4 (Myelocyte 10, metamyelo 8, band 4, seg53, lymph 18, mono
6, atypical lymph 1, eos 0), Hb 10, plt 99
7/2/2011 WBC 56.5 (myelo 9, metamyelo 9, ban 7, seg 59, eos 1, lympho 12,
mono 11), Hb 8.9, Plt 55K
HIV-, VDRL-

-> recently fever continued, developed mild hepatosplenomegaly

DHR normal

IgG 1090 mg/dL (<- IVIG was given at other place)
IgA 5 mg/dL
IgM 8 mg/dL
IgE 161.5 IU/mL
CH50 85 U/mL

lymphocyte subset
=========================
Parameter Test value reference for her age
(MoAb) % Count(/ul)
% count
T (CD3) 88 5,974 72% (60-85%) , 4,600
(2,300-7,000)
T4 (CD4) 72 4,867 55% (41-68%), 3,500
(1,700-5,300)
T8 (CD8) 14 959 16% (9-23%),
1,000 (400-1,700)
T4/T8 ratio 5.08
B (CD19) 1 74 15% (4-26%)
1,000 (600-1,000)
NK (CD16+56+3-) 10 664 8% (3-23%) 500
(200-1,400)
NKT(CD16+56+3+) 1 74

Bone marrow, non-diagnostic, RF (-)

skin bx showed lymphocyte infiltraion in vascular wall and dermis ->
vasculitis, no organisms (fungus -, bacteria -, mycobacteria -, HSV -,
adenovirus -, CMV -, EBV -)

At first, I thought of hyper IgE then I was suspecting SCID. B cell is very
low but T cells are within normal. I was also thinking the possibility of
maternal engraftment, but there is no eosinophilia although she has IgE
already 161. Should check for chimerism?

Her condition is waxing and waning and deteriorating gradually. Skin
lesions are now quite nodular.. we are quite concerned about this baby and I
hope to get some help from you for further work-up.
I would appreciate any suggestion.

YaeJean

--
Yae-Jean Kim, MD