[CIS-PAGID] Transplantation for APECED ?. .

Desa Lilic desa.lilic at newcastle.ac.uk
Thu Jul 14 05:38:51 EDT 2011

Our understanding of APECED as a uniquely thymic defect may have been biased by mouse models that only partially reflect human disease. Recent data on anti-cytokine autoantibodies to IFN type 1 (PLoS 2006) and Th-17 (JEM 2010) points to more complex mechanisms of autoimmunity than just defective central tolerance due to lack of ectopic expression of tissue specific antigens in AIRE-mutated thymi (thymic secretion and presentation of cytokines has been documented but does not prevent autoimmunity - see PLoS 2006). Also, a role for AIRE in peripheral antigen presenting cells is well recognised but poorly understood. Importantly, we and others have reported T regulatory cell defects in APECED patients that may have a crucial role in the autoimmune pathology of APECED patients (JACI 2005, J Autoimmunity 2010, Scan J Immunol 2011)

Based on the above and the fact that this young lady suffers with what seems to be aplastic anemia due to bone marrow insufficiency, I would not dismiss the possibility that allogeneic HCT could be beneficial. However, before focusing on HCT, it may be worth considering a trial of alemtuzumab (Campath) - based on personal experience of my colleague (and husband...) Dr Mario Abinun, Paediatric Immunologist, who observed a good clinical and histological response in a young APECED lad with severe autoimmune hepatitis.

Lastly, as regards diagnostic anti-cytokine antibodies in APECED pts (btw - IFN type 1 are more sensitive but as specific as Th-17 aabs) we can do this in the UK so pls let me know if you need further details. However, diagnostic IL-17 production (for other CMC subgroups) is not routinely available.

Desa Lilic MD MSc PhD FRCPath
Consultant & Hon Clin Sen Lecturer in Immunology
Newcastle University