[CIS-PAGID] CVID + LIP

Routes, John jroutes at mcw.edu
Sat Jul 23 10:55:10 EDT 2011

Friends/Colleagues
All of our patients had biopsies (all but 1 an open lung biopsy)--the infiltrate consisted of LIP, granuloma and follicular bronchiolitis—the phenotype in all cases at MCW included T cells and B cells (as well as macs)--fibrosis in longstanding cases---we monitored chest CT as well as PFTS by plethysmography----we not only had improvements in CT findings, but PFTs----my experience my be different and acknowledge the very real possibility of referral bias, but the cases I have had demonstrate a slow diminution of pulmonary function if not treated----when at National Jewish, I tried a couple patients with rituxin alone and got some improvement, but not to the extent of combination chemotherapy---

For the last 18 months I have been in contact with Genentech (they might say pestered) and based on our CIS abstract/and newer data, in the last week have provided me with a letter of intent to supply rituxin for a study—(essential as the cost would be prohibitive otherwise) ===-I am in preliminary discussions with people at the NIH to see if they would fund a multicenter clinical study----what I would suggest is that get interested parties together to discuss the best possible protocols----I strongly believe we need tissue in all cases to correlate pathological findings with PFTs and CT findings------we (Nicki Chase, James Verbsky and I----Nicki especially deserves a TON of credit here) have collaborated with pathology and radiology at MCW to come up with a scoring system for HRCT scans and path----so I think we would be set to have everything be blindly read at one center and scored pre and post Rx---

If you are interested in participating in such a trial, give me an email at jroutes at mcw.edu

thanks!

Jack

John M. Routes, MD
Chief, Section of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
Professor of Pediatrics, Medicine, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
Department of Pediatrics
Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
9000 W. Wisconsin Ave.