[CIS-PAGID] FW: XLA / helicobacter

Dowling, Paul MD pdowling at cmh.edu
Mon Jul 25 18:12:19 EDT 2011

Dear Charlotte,

I also had a case like this. This patient had a diagnosis of XLA and was doing well until age 16 when he started having unexplained painful "bumps" on his arms and legs. They were small at first, warm, painful and would last a few days on his arms and lower legs. No fever, change in CBC etc. was seen. they initially would clear completely after a few days. He thought they occured from trauma as he played soccer and they occurred in areas usually hit by the ball. Later as they became more frequent they were thought to be some type of vasculitis or atypical cellulitis. Attempts at culture and biopsy showed no organisms. He was treated with a large variety of antibiotics by ID without improvement. Bx was consistent with panniculitis. A couple lesions on the lower legs persisted and started necrosing...leaving large non healing ulcers. After speaking with a couple experts on XLA the thought of Heliobacter/Flexispira was entertained although all attempts at culturing were futile. The pateint was eventually sent to the NIH where cutures were also negative but the flexispira organisms were seen by staining the biospies with "Warthin-Starry ?" Stain. He was treated with a PICC line with IV Tobramycin and Meropenem for many months. His lesions started healing. During treatment Tobra was dc'ed as he developed tinnitus and documented hearing loss and was switched to po doxycycline along with the IV Meropenem. He was treated about 10 months until he stopped meds himself and remained well for approximately a year until lost to followup.

Hope this adds a little to your data base on these patients.

Paul

Paul J Dowling, MD
Training Program Director, Allergy/Immunology
Associate Professor, Dept.of Pediatrics
University of Missouri - Kansas City
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
816-234-3097 (office); email pdowling at cmh.edu