[CIS-PAGID] a newborn with an extensive skin lesions_a follow-up question

YaeJean Kim yaejeankim at skku.edu
Wed Sep 21 19:38:20 EDT 2011

Dear Sergio,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I haven't used those
biologicals (they are not available where I practice).

I tried steroid at a dose of 2 mg/kg and gave a pulse treatment 2 days
ago since the baby's condition was getting worse. I started mmf
yesterday after hearing a suggestion from Austrailian colleagues who just
saw a very similar baby there and had a good response with mmf.

I will give you more updates later. Many thanks!!

Regards,

YaeJean

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Sergio Rosenzweig <
srosenzweig at garrahan.gov.ar> wrote:

> [...]

> actively talking about transplanting the baby.

> But since last week, she started to have new skin lesions, mild fever,

> irritability... I bumped the steroid again and did the infection

> surveillance, gave antibiotics briefly for 3- days ..she appeared to get

> better but now her condition is getting really bad again and I see there is

> a tissue necrosis around the upper lips... we gave IVIG, started antibiotics

> again and will plan to do skin biopsy..just in case if this is a super

> infection with unusual pathogen (e.g., mold infection?). It appeared that

> blood flow is compromised (there is pale area first and then necrosis

> developed)...I just stopped NSAID(Ibuprofen) today because of worry about

> any relatedness to the skin necrosis...this could be her "usual just

> inflammation" like previous lesions and no skin infection because this

> necrosis got worse with other new skin lesions appeared, at the same

> time...but still, this time it looks different (looks like blood vessel

> insufficiency)...I attached the photo.

> I haven't tested the gene for the NLRP3 gene(CIAS1) for NOMID/CINCA, yet. I

> will do the test.

> At this point, I ask your opinion on this baby. Any additional suggestions

> or idea what do test more? Advice for management will be also

> appreciated. The family is poor and have unstable family dynamics (father

> being hostile to the medical staff) altough with mom, we have a very good

> rapport...I am very concerned that this baby will eventually get

> deteriorated after this waxing and waning period.

> Thanks a lot for your advice.

> Regards,

> YaeJean

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:14 AM, <christian.wysocki at yale.edu> wrote:

>> Would this not be a great case for TREC analysis? A rapid, PCR-based

>> assay. I

>> would think that, based on available literature, if TRECS are absent, this

>> would be extremely informative and strongly support this as Omenn/Leaky

>> SCID/maternal T cell engraftment. Would at least lead one quickly in the

>> direction of immune deficiency and away from autoinflammatory

>> disease/vasculitis.

>> -Chris Wysocki

>> A/I fellow, Yale

>> Quoting "Verbsky, James" <jverbsky at mcw.edu>:

>> YaeJean

>>> Do you have CD4 RO%..should be high with leaky scid, Omenn, maternal

>>> engraftment, etc

>>> Does the child have bone lesions? NOMID and IL1 receptor antagonist

>>> deficiency presents at birth with rash (usually pustular and full of PMN).

>>> THe rash and inflammatory markers are suggestive but the lymphocytic

>>> infiltrates on bx doesnt really fit. Regardless, I have tried anakinra in

>>> cases like this with worsening disease without a diagnosis..its short acting

>>> and relatively safe. If it works..it is ususally dramatic. It there is no

>>> effect after 2-3 days..it can be stopped.

>>> Best

>>> James W. Verbsky M.D./Ph.D.

>>> Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Microbiology and Molecular Genetics

>>> Medical College of Wisconsin

>>> Children's Corporate Center

>>> Pediatric Rheumatology, Suite C465

>>> 9000 W. Wisconsin Ave., PO Box 1997

>>> ______________________________**__

>>> From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.**org<pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org>[mailto:

>>> pagid-bounces at list.**clinimmsoc.org <pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org>]

>>> On Behalf Of YaeJean Kim

>>> Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2011 7:56 AM

>>> To: pagid

>>> Subject: [CIS-PAGID] a newborn with an extensive skin lesions

>>> Dear All,

>>> I have a question about a neonate with severe skin lesions.

>>> 40 days old female full-term baby who presented with whole body rash

>>> since day 3 after birth.

>>> She has been treated multiple rounds of antibiotics for r/o sepsis

>>> (leukocytosis and high CRP, no pathogen, skin lesion) and was transferred to

>>> our NICU.

>>> No significant birth hx (full-term, 2.8 kg, vaginal delivery), or family

>>> hx of PID.

>>> On arrivail, extensive skin lesions and striking leukocytosis continued

>>> 6/14/2011 WBC 39.4 (Myelocyte 10, metamyelo 8, band 4, seg53, lymph 18,

>>> mono 6, atypical lymph 1, eos 0), Hb 10, plt 99

>>> 7/2/2011 WBC 56.5 (myelo 9, metamyelo 9, ban 7, seg 59, eos 1, lympho

>>> 12, mono 11), Hb 8.9, Plt 55K

>>> HIV-, VDRL-

>>> -> recently fever continued, developed mild hepatosplenomegaly

>>> DHR normal

>>> IgG 1090 mg/dL (<- IVIG was given at other place)

>>> IgA 5 mg/dL

>>> IgM 8 mg/dL

>>> IgE 161.5 IU/mL

>>> CH50 85 U/mL

>>> lymphocyte subset

>>> =========================

>>> Parameter Test value reference for her age

>>> (MoAb) % Count(/ul) %

>>> count

>>> ------------------------------**--------------

>>> T (CD3) 88 5,974 72% (60-85%) ,

>>> 4,600 (2,300-7,000)

>>> T4 (CD4) 72 4,867 55% (41-68%),

>>> 3,500 (1,700-5,300)

>>> T8 (CD8) 14 959 16% (9-23%),

>>> 1,000 (400-1,700)

>>> T4/T8 ratio 5.08

>>> B (CD19) 1 74 15% (4-26%)

>>> 1,000 (600-1,000)

>>> NK (CD16+56+3-) 10 664 8% (3-23%) 500

>>> (200-1,400)

>>> NKT(CD16+56+3+) 1 74

>>> ------------------------------**---------------

>>> Bone marrow, non-diagnostic, RF (-)

>>> skin bx showed lymphocyte infiltraion in vascular wall and dermis ->

>>> vasculitis, no organisms (fungus -, bacteria -, mycobacteria -, HSV -,

>>> adenovirus -, CMV -, EBV -)

>>> At first, I thought of hyper IgE then I was suspecting SCID. B cell is

>>> very low but T cells are within normal. I was also thinking the possibility

>>> of maternal engraftment, but there is no eosinophilia although she has IgE

>>> already 161. Should check for chimerism?

>>> Her condition is waxing and waning and deteriorating gradually. Skin

>>> lesions are now quite nodular.. we are quite concerned about this baby and I

>>> hope to get some help from you for further work-up.

>>> I would appreciate any suggestion.

>>> YaeJean

>>> --

>>> Yae-Jean Kim, MD

>>> Assistant Professor

>>> Division of Infectious Diseases

>>> Department of Pediatrics

>>> Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine

>>> Samsung Medical Center

>>> 50 Irwon-dong Gangnam-gu

yaejeankim at skku.edu