[CIS-PAGID] Problem Patient

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Sat Sep 24 17:42:04 EDT 2011

Hi Joe

I would look for Giardia and Campylobacter infections.

Giardia is a common offender of gastrintestinal tract in IgA deficient
patients and causes diarrhea with cramps, difficult to diagnose on
fecal specimens. It is necessary to get duodenal juice by endoscopy to
improve the chances of diagnosis.

Campylobacter also causes diarrhea with cramps and sometimes bloody
diarrhea. Hypogammaglobulinemic patients present prolonged elimination
of the pathogen. Some patients present autoimmune manifestations
secondary to Campylobacter infections (mainly neurological).

The food intolerances may be associated to mucosal destruction and
secondary disaccharidase deficiency.

On the other hand, autoimmunity is rather common in adult IgA
deficient patients, as well as gluten-sensitive enteropathy (without
the typical IgA antibodies against transglutaminase etc) and Crohn's
disease.

Best regards,

Dewton

Dewton de Moraes-Vasconcelos
University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine