[CIS-PAGID] Problem Patient

YaeJean Kim yaejeankim at skku.edu
Sun Sep 25 04:57:10 EDT 2011

Dear Dr. Church,

You might also want to check rotavirus, norovirus or pathogens
like microsporidia, cryptosporidia, isosproa..just in case (or to complete
your evaluation). For rota or norovirus, I have seen chronic infection in
mainly stem cell recipients (they are children, though)...maybe not the case
in this pateint but can be the cause of occasional bad episode of GI
probems..

Pathogens like microsporidia, cryptosporidia, isosproa are mostly reported
in HIV/AIDS patients but can be the cause of intractable cause of chornic
diarrhea in certain patients with immunodeficieny in recent reports...

I think Giardia is also a good thinking. Dueodenal biopsy or string test can
be tried.

I also wonder whether this patient has eosinophilic gastroenteritis in
addition to his underlying condition....eosinophilic gastroenteritis usually
present with eosinophilia but certain pateints only have increased
infiltration of eosinophils in the GI tract without obvious blood
eosinophilia.

YaeJean
--
Yae-Jean Kim, MD