[CIS-PAGID] Partial CD4 deficiency, autoimmunity, bronchiectasis

Dr. Carsten Speckmann carsten.speckmann at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Fri Dec 2 09:45:06 EST 2011

As pointed out by you there is for sure a T cell problem. What is the
picture of the muscular hypotonia? Enamel defect?
Ca chanelopathies present with normal absolute lymphocytes, clinical T
cell deficiency and sometimes (i.e. STIM1) with autoimmunity.

Carsten

Am 02.12.11 15:07, schrieb Eleonora Gambineri:

> Dear all I would like your inputs on the case below:

> 21 mo/old girl

> _FAMILY HISTORY_ unremarkable

> _MEDICAL HISTORY: _hx at birth unremarkable. At 7 mo of age she

> started to suffer of recurrent respiratory infections (mainly

> pneumonitis and bronchitis); at 15 mo: ? Enterovirus encephalitis (no

> evidence at brain MRI and EEG, but positive PCR in liquor); afterwards

> she had 4 pneumonitis (June-Sept 2011) with slow recovery

> _LAB W/U_

> Normal LFTs/U&E

> Immunological W/U:

> WBC 9900/ul L 27.6% (2732/ul), *Eo 22.6% (2237/ul)* N 40.4% B 1.7%, M

> 3,8%; Hb 11 g/dl, ferritin 2,7 ng/ml

> *Partial CD4 deficiency* (400-500/ul) with *low/absent

> CD4/CD45/CD31+* cells (absent TRECs) and expansion of memory phenotype

> both in CD4 and CD8 subsets. Normal B cell numbers with good

> percentage of memory B cells.

> Antibody responses: POSITIVE to measles and varicella, NEG to tetanus,

> HBV, difteria, HSV IgG positive, EBV IgG/IgM negative, HHV6 IgG/IgM

> negative

> IgG 900 mg/dl, IgA64 mg/dl, *IgM 233 mg/dl (increased), *IgE negative

> TCR repertoire: high Vb6-5, 6-6, 6-9 (on CD8)…not sure if done on CD4

> In vitro lymphocyte proliferation assay: low response to PHA and

> aCD3/CD28+IL2 (However, it was not confirmed in another lab)

> Alpha feto-protein: *slightly deranged (13 UI/ml*, NV 0.1-4.9)

> Coombs POSITIVE IgG; ANA POSITIVE (1:1280); aTPO POSITIVE (normal

> thyroid function)

> _Infection W/U_

> CMV PCR POSITIVE on BAL; Pseudomonas Positive on BAL

> CMV, Adeno, EBV PCR negative on blood

> _IMMAGING:_

> Chest CT: bronchiectasis; Thyroid US: normal, lateral-cervical LN with

> increased size; Abdomen US: nil; Heart US: nil; Thymus should be

> present, but ask to review the scan (results still pending)

> _O&E_

> Normal growth

> No signs of intestinal malabsorption

> Ligamentous Hyperlaxity

> Muscle hypotonia (normal EMG at lower body, partly altered at upper

> body, anti AchR Ab ongoing)

> No dimorphisms (she was reviewed by Geneticist); No hair

> alterations; No bone abnormalities (at femur X Ray, total skeleton

> X-Ray TBD)

> No rash, but diffuse itchiness

> Chest: when in good conditions, crackles all over the chest with minor

> distress. SatO2 in AA 93%, with episodes of desaturation at night. She

> is at the moment on FKT.

> Liver: 1-2 cm below costal margin

> CV: systolic hypertension of unknown origin (no renal impairment, no

> steroid treatment)

> _DIFFERENTIAL_

> At the moment the following condition have been excluded:

> - HLA I and II deficiency

> - ADA/PNP deficiency

> - RAG1/RAG2 mutations

> - IL7Ra deficiency

> - DGS (CGH array negative)

> [...]

Dr. med. Carsten Speckmann
Facharzt
Zentrum fuer Kinderheilkunde und Jugendmedizin
Centrum fuer Chronische Immundefizienz - CCI
Universitaet Freiburg
Mathildenstr. 1
79106 Freiburg
Germany