[CIS-PAGID] Re : Re: Campath for Hemophagocytic syndrome

moshous despina despina.moshous at nck.aphp.fr
Sat Dec 3 06:14:20 EST 2011

Dear colleagues,

We usually do a first course of a total of 2,5mg/kg Campath H1 over three days, that is 0,5 mg/kg day 1, followed by 1mg/kg on day 2 and 3. The reason for this is, that patients with activation syndrome may have a extremely bad tolerance of the first (and maybe second) Campath, so we go very slowly for the first Campath, planning an infusion over 8 to 12 h (or even more depending on tolerance), starting with a very low dose/hour and increasing the dose/hour only very slowly if tolerance is ok. the Campath needs to be co-medicated with Methylprednisolone as well, we give 0,3 mg/kg at H0, H+4 and H+8 (the H+8 may not be given on day 2 or 3 if tolerance is ok) We do also premedication with antihistaminics at H-1.

In these patients, we use concommitantly methylprednisolone 2 mg/kg/day in two doses and go for ciclosporine ivc after the campath.

Sometimes you need to repeat Campath or to switch to ATG, if the response is not sufficient. Overall we have good results with the Campath approach (when used as first line treatment) and needed to switch to ATG only in a minority of patients. We thouroughly check for virus (EBV, CMV, HHV6...) that may trigger the activation but I guess you looked for all of this.

If there is clear evidence for cerebral involvement (lymphocytes at LP or abnormal MRI signals) we do intrathecal injections of steroids and MTX.

Indeed this is the approach for activation syndrome we use in patients with proven or suspected genetic forms of lymphohistiocytosis, in (adult) patients with suspicion of underlying malignany this approach may mask the evolution, as you may even obtain a remission in lymphoma in the beginning. We once observed this, the lymphoma of the T cell lineage in a 3 year old girl being diagnosed only at relapse... Not having all the details of your patient, I cannot affirm that our approach is the best treatment option for your patient right now, but if you consider him to be a form of lymphohistiocytosis, I guess we would try the Campath, also in an adult patient.

Feel free to contact me for further information.

Best regards and good luck with your patient

Despina MOSHOUS MD PhD
Unité d'Immunologie et d'Hématologie Pédiatriques
Hôpital Necker-Enfants Malades
149, rue de Sèvres
75015 Paris
France
Tél +33 1 44 49 48 23
Fax +33 1 42 73 28 96

et

Dynamique du Génome et Système Immunitaire
(Genome Dynamics in the Immune System)
INSERM U768 Pavillon Kirmisson