[CIS-PAGID] EBV with persistent lymphopenia and chronic thrombosis

Dr. Carsten Speckmann carsten.speckmann at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Tue Feb 7 02:59:45 EST 2012

Also in absence of a full blown HLH I would actively rule out XLP1 and
2 (especially 2 since the phenotype is probably quite broad). A first
step would be to look for SAP and XIAP expression and activation induced
cell death. However, SAP/XIAP expression might be normal in case of a
leaky condition so you would probably have to do genetics to exclude for
sure. It is propbaly also worth to look at the degranualtion of NKs/CTLs
to rule out a leaky FHL variant. Without previous infections or signs of
immune dysregulation a leaky combined immunodeficiency seems rather
unlikely (but not impossible), especially if there is evidence for
chronic lymphopenia prior his present illness (old blood counts
available?) I would investigate also T cell function (proliferation), T
cell receptor repertoire and g/d expansion. If all these test are normal
a leaky combined immunodeficiency is rather unlikely (Felgentreff et al).

Carsten Speckmann

--
Dr. med. Carsten Speckmann
Facharzt