[CIS-PAGID] Peripheral neuropathy in CVID

Seppänen Mikko Mikko.Seppanen at hus.fi
Thu Apr 19 01:46:29 EDT 2012

Dear all,

While our unit has used SCIgs for appr 6 years now, and most of the time 3 different preparations (Subcuvia, Gammanorm, Vivaglobin being at the moment switched to Hizentra) in now appr 200 pts (90 + CVIDs, the rest IgG hypogamma or SAD with low polysaccharide responses and either bronchiectasis or e.g.LIP), we have seen quite regularly some minor tolerability issues that individually differ btw pts, and no prep in our eyes has been uniformly superior, we have not as of yet had any peripheral neuropathies.

However, we had a case of IgG hypogamma with GADAb positive progressive encephalitis and myoclonus (PERM), gait ataxia and epilepsy, who reported worsening of ataxia when different preps were used ( due to yet another winning a bid for our Hospital District's primary IVIg, happens every other year). We then tested the preps against GADAb titers, and the more modern the prep (and the less dimers) we tested we seemed to at first to get somewhat higher titers. There were considerable differences in between batches however, again no product being consistently superior over others.

Since specifically in ataxia GADAb titers may play a role, the whole case made some sense, that is: when a batch popped up with higher titers that was avoided if pt reported problems.

We know that the gain of IgG has increased with newer methods, and that autoantibodies are enriched in poly- and dimeric fractions, and it made me wonder if the newer preps truly would contain more autoantibodies? And when a pt with naturally high autoAb titers gets a little more the symptoms worsen. This proved to be impossible to truly prove, but I suggest that it might be worthwhile to preserve a few ampoules of the batches in question and test for AutoAbs both in pt and prep? Only as a suggestion, in my opinion nothing firm yet to back up a hypothesis.

I digged the literature back when this was more acute, cannot remember the refs now.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? And a specific autoAb to suggest in these cases?

And I wholeheartedly agree with Kate and also will keep my eyes open,

Yours

Mikko Seppänen, MD, PhD
Helsinki Finland