[CIS-PAGID] CVID? Diagnosed Incidentally in Healthy Patient, What Do I Do?

Alan Redding aredding99 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:44:37 EDT 2012

Recently, an internist referred a 54 yo F to me because her total
protein (TP) level was low (5.8 g/dL) and her gamma globulin fraction was
low (0.2 g/dL). Bloodwork was done as part of a routine physical. In her
twenties, while pregnant, she says that she was hospitalized for pneumonia
(patient doesn't know details of this infection). Since then, she says
that she has been treated for pneumonia twice as an outpatient, but she
cannot recall having a CXR on either occasion. This is her only infectious
history. Other than hypercholesterolemia, she is healthy. She feels
perfectly fine. No history of recurrent sinusitis, bronchitis, cough,
etc. She even asked me "Why am I here?"
On further workup, total Ig A was undectectable (<4 mg/dL), IgM was
low at 23 mg/dL, and IgG was low at 240 mg/dL. She had protective levels
to tetanus (0.45 IU/mL) and diptheria (0.07 IU/mL), which increased after
Tdap vaccination to 1.85 mg/dL and 0.20 mg/dL, respectively. She also had
protective antibody levels to Varicella Zoster virus. She did not respond
to the first dose of hepatitis A virus vaccine, but did show "reactive"
antibody levels after receiving the second dose of hepatitis A virus
vaccine. However, she showed zero response to Pneumovax vaccine, the H.
flu vaccine, or the meningoccal polysaccharide vaccine.
In summation, it appears that she can mount an immune response to
protein antigens, both new and old. However, since she did not respond to
the H. flu conjugate vaccine, and, she did not respond to the hepatitis A
vaccine until after the second dose, the response may be sluggish. And,
she cannot respond to new polysaccharide vaccines.
I have never seen a patient like this, before. Could it be that
I have just caught CVID, and she is just lucky that she has not had a
serious infection? Or, might one say, "Well, she does have low antibody
levels. But, something must be working right, because she is 54,
and hasn't had frequent or severe infections. It may be difficult to talk
her into starting immunoglobulin replacement when she feels normal, and has
hardly been sick. However, I want to recommend the safest course of
action, both for her sake, and, for mine. I would appreciate any
recommendations, especially, if anyone has ever had personal experience
with patients such as this.

Sincerely,
Alan Redding, M.D.
Redding Allergy and Asthma Center