[CIS-PAGID] B-cell subset question

Saxon, Andy M.D. ASaxon at mednet.ucla.edu
Tue May 8 17:39:52 EDT 2012

"She had been having recurrent sinusitis and had frequent courses of antibiotics but she had no imaging performed during this time, did not have history of sinus surgery and did not have much in the way of lower respiratory tract infections. She was started on IVIG by him and she has clinically improved with fewer infections."

Without any imaging, the diagnosis of recurrent sinusitis is highly suspect with essentially normal Ig's and getting "better" on IVIg is a huge placebo. Frankly I don't know what to make of her IgM levels and IgM cells but I'd certainly want to try to get off IVIg.. I assume this immunologist made sure she was not allergic... If not, clearly must be done. I would look for a small clinically insignificant paraprotein MGUS on given patients age IEP as it could be missed on SPEP and this may account for IgM changes.

Key is going to be imaging to try to get an objective handle on current and future state of "sinusitis" complaints and "hanging touch" when the patient says they have sinusitis. You need to make them come in and get evaluated including imaging. I have had many such patients (some minor out of range Ig or immune parameter) over the years who had been treated by a immunologist south of UCLA and now "retired". Some patients came thinking they didn't need the IVIg and were easy to get off, those who were convinced it made the better (but insurance or other parties suggested stopping) were much more difficult. Key is to set objective standards and following them.

What is the clinical significance of low plasmablasts potentially causing hypogammaglobulinemia, especially in regards to infectious complications and need for IgG replacement?
As these represent transiently circulating recently stimulated cells, I suppose it is simply a reflection of the low IgG responses and is a secondary event, not a primary "causal" one.

Good luck.

Andy Saxon,
UCLA