[CIS-PAGID] Suspected PID case

Torgerson, Troy troy.torgerson at seattlechildrens.org
Mon May 28 11:54:55 EDT 2012

Juan Carlos,

I would also consider a somatic mutation in either NRAS or KRAS as
described by Bosco Oliveira:

http://www.pnas.org/content/104/21/8953.abstract
http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/content/117/10/2883.full

In our experience these kids can have a clinical picture very much as you
describe in your patient. With any little infection (bacterial or viral),
they can have a major leukamoid reaction as you describe accompanied by
fever, rash, etc. Hepatosplenomegaly and lymphadenopathy are common. In
most of these patients, JMML has to be excluded as Stephen suggests. To my
knowledge, most of the patients described have not progressed to
malignancy but it is a concern.

Since mutations in NRAS and KRAS are also present in a large number of
human cancers, there are a few clinical labs where you can get the
sequencing done.

Best,
Troy

Troy R. Torgerson, MD PhD

Assistant Professor, Pediatric Immunology/Rheumatology
Director, Immunology Diagnostic Laboratory (IDL)
University of Washington and Seattle Children's Hospital

Address:
Seattle Children's Research Institute
1900 9th Ave., C9S-7
Seattle, WA 98101-1304