[CIS-PAGID] 8 year old girl with mitochondrialdisorder and severe infections

Walter, Jolan Jolan.Walter at childrens.harvard.edu
Tue May 29 19:18:59 EDT 2012

We have an ongoing collaboration at MGH with Dr. Vamsi Mootha http://mootha.med.harvard.edu/ who is the Chair of Mitochondrial Medicine 2012: Capitol Hill, an upcoming meeting in June for scientist in the field of mitochondrial diseases.

Currently MGH beside Boston Children's and Tufts are all taking care of patients with mitochondrial diseases, and a small fraction of these patients have hypogammaglobulinemia or recurrent infections that is worsened by the indwelling lines for TPN. Some of the patients suffer from recurrent sinopulmonary infections other with yeast infections.

We have an IRB approved protocol to study these patients (and work as a team with MGH-based Neurology, Genetics and basic scientist in the Mootha Lab). The preliminary data shows heterogenous selection of immune defects (T cell proliferation, decreased memory B cell compartment, low vaccine-specific response to Pneumococcus). A unifying feature is low lymphocyte count that further decreases with infections (neutrophil count can nicely increase). As if the lymphocyte would not have enough 'energy' to expand.

We would be glad to collaborate with other academic centers to increase awareness and understanding of these diseases.

Our immediate current goal is to collect evidence that IvIg replacement is important for a subgroup of these patients.

Thank you for sharing this case. Very relevant question.

Jolan

Jolan Walter M.D. Ph.D.
Instructor, Pediatric Allergy/Immunology
Massachusetts General Hospital for Children