[CIS-PAGID] Rosai-Dorfman and lymphopenia

Tamara Pozos Tamara.Pozos at childrensmn.org
Wed May 30 23:08:51 EDT 2012

Hello all-

Last week I met a 2.5 year old boy with rapid-onset massive disseminated adenopathy and a nasopharyngeal mass, pathology consistent with Rosai-Dorfman including emperipolesis. Lymphocyte phenotyping repeatedly shows significant T (absolute 600) and B (ABS 100) lymphopenia - NK were low initially but normalized. He was not always lymphopenic, in late April ALC 2500 on CBC .

Past history negative for recurrent infections or growth issues - he actually looks quite well aside from the nodes. IgG, A, M, E, dip/tet, pneumo titers fine. Mitogen responses OK, but antigen responses not done due to inadequate number of lymphocytes. EBV and HHV-6 serologies consistent with past exposure. ALPS considered - DNTs ABS 18, 1.5%; Hgb and platelets are normal. Abdominal ultrasound normal.

Mother has sarcoidosis, per report, and has received steroids intermittently.

Questions-
1) What experience do you have with immunologic disease in young children with Rosai-Dorfman? Published reports indicate a spectrum from no immune involvement to transient lymphopenias in self-limited cases to fatalities from infections and severe immunedysregulation. Are there other diagnoses I should consider or genetic tests you would suggest, esp. given his mother's diagnosis?

2) Need for treatment - A short course of Decadron early in his course was helpful in shrinking nodes transiently, but they recurred and steroids aren't appealing for the long term. My hematology/oncology colleagues would like to treat with cladrabine as the lymph nodes are very large and may be slightly affecting his ability to swallow. I'm somewhat hesitant to make him more cytopenic, (he is on Bactrim). Thoughts on chemotherapy? Other immunomodulators?

Thank you so much for your time and collective experience-
Tamara

Tamara Pozos, MD PhD
Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Immunology
Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
Mail Stop 70-504
Garden View Building, 5th Floor
345 Smith Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55102
tamara.pozos at childrensmn.org
651-220-6444 (office)

Confidentiality Statement:
This email/fax, including attachments, may include confidential
and/or proprietary information and may be used only by the
person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of
this email/fax is not the intended recipient or his or her
agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email/fax is prohibited. If you
have received this email/fax in error, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and deleting this email or
destroying this facsimile immediately.