[CIS PIDD] [CIS-PAGID] CVID Risk for children - further screening?

Grimbacher, Bodo b.grimbacher at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 07:58:39 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Am 04.06.12 11:52 schrieb "Stan Ress" unter <Stan.Ress at uct.ac.za>:

>How would it be best to monitor for future development of CVID in

>children who have affected parents, and is genetic screening actually

>warranted?

>I have the following 3 scenarios:

>1. A man contacted me about his 32 year-old wife who was diagnosed with

>CVID & is getting monthly IVIG. I have no further details but I doubt any

>genetic studies were done. He asked me about the risk for his 3 kids aged

>5 years, 3 years & 1 year & I indicated ~10%. Would one do periodic serum

>Ig levels, or only test in the event of recurrent URTI's ?

I would monitor the kids clinically and IF a blood test for other reasons
on the kids is needed also tick the IgG box :-)

>2. I have 2 sisters diagnosed with CVID on IVIG therapy. Raising the

>question of further screening of the family, I was told they are all

>totally against this.

Two sisters with healthy parents may indicate towards a recessive form of
CVID, so the chance of inheritance (provided an unrelated partner) is so
small that I would agree with this family and NOT pursue and screening of
offspring.
Having said this, these forms of CVID have in recent years been most
informative on the elucidation of what is genetically going on in CVID;
with ICOS deficiency and CD19 deficiency all diagnosed in families with
affected sib-pairs. So from the research perspective, we would be very
interested in these CVID families.

>3. A related but distinct query. A young 16 year-old man with late onset

>XLA (undiagnosed) presented with severe chest infection and unfortunately

>died, despite AB therapy. He had absent B-cells on FCM, very low IG

>levels, absent plasma cells on post-mortem, & confirmed gene mutation: G

>to A transition at cDNA position 1574 (c, 1574G>A) in exon 16 of the BTK

>gene.

>He has a younger brother. In this case, simply measuring circulating

>B-cells & Ig levels in the sib should be adequate? Full genetic

>screening, while of academic interest, is not affordable by this family,

>& not offered by the state's public health care system.

Getting the brothers B cells and IgG serum levels should be sufficient.
However, as you know the brother's mutation, you will need only one PCR
and one sequencing reaction to confirm or rule-out this family's mutation.
This should cost around 50 EUR (at least it does in EuropeŠ)

Best, Bodo

Prof. B. Grimbacher

Scientific Director
CCI - Centre of Chronic Immunodeficiency
UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL FREIBURG
Germany

>I would value any advise in these situations.

>Thanks & Regards,

>Stan Ress

>--

>Stanley Ress