[CIS PIDD] CGD-tuberculosis

Safa baris safabaris at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 08:01:33 EDT 2012

Thanks alot

Safa BARIS, MD

Marmara University, Division of
Pediatric Allergy and Immunology

ISTANBUL/TURKEY
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:35:27 -0400
From: srosenzweig at garrahan.gov.ar
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: Re: [CIS PIDD] CGD-tuberculosis

Hi Safa,
We didn't use mycobacteria prophylaxis at our center in Buenos Aires (50 CGD pts until 2009, almost all of them BCG vaccinated within 48h of life, high TB endemicity country, no TB cases in the cohort). CGD pts are certainly more susceptible to TB, as shown in other high endemicity areas (Ped Infect Dis J 2008, 27:224-230; Clinical Infectious Diseases 1998;26:226–7), and even in the US, 4% of pneumonias in CGD are due to mycobacterias (Medicine 2000, 79:155-69), but in our experience more prevalent and complex than TB, was the BCG isssue: when we apply 30,000 to 3,200,000 live mycobacteria intradermally to a CGD neonate. In our experience, localized regional BCG-itis was a problem, but was usually medically/surgically manageable.
However, different countries with different BCG strains have more
frequent and severe complications (eg Brazil, Rio strain, disseminated BCGosis).
The prospect of adding antimycobacterial prophylaxis (weekly azythromicin?) in a high endemicity/TB prevalence enviroment sounds reasonable.
Sergio

Sergio D. Rosenzweig, MD, PhD
Chief, Infectious Diseases Susceptibility Unit
Laboratory of Host Defenses, NIAID, NIH
10 Center Dr., Bldg. 10, CRC 5W-3888
Bethesda, MD 20892-1456
Phone (301) 451 8971
Fax (301) 451 7901
Cell (240) 361 7617
Pager 102 10678
srosenzweig at niaid.nih.gov

Disclaimer: The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential and may contain sensitive information. It should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete from your mailbox or any other storage devices. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shall not accept liability for any statements made that are senders own and not expressly made on behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives.

>>> Safa baris 06/07/12 12:50 PM >>>

Dear Immunology interesting group;

We recently mange 2 X-linked CGD patients
with M.tuberculosis infections. In
our country the BCG vaccination perform routinely to all infants at 1 mo of
age. So my question about use of prophylaxis of anti-tbc drugs for CGD
patients. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks.