[CIS PIDD] Teen with immunodeficiency and recent onset ataxia

Sullivan, Kathleen sullivak at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Jun 14 06:13:27 EDT 2012

Not great fits but at least to consider:

CANDLE/Nakajo-Nishimura PSMB8 deficiency

Fever (not always)

Seizures

Thin face

Clubbed nails

Pernio or heliotrope rash is very consistent

High ESR, anemia high IgG, high CPK

HSM

Basal ganglia calcification

Contractures/arthritis/arthralgias

Lipodystrophy

Developmental delay

Aicardi Goutieres/Chilblains/Pernio TREX1, RNASEH2A/B/C, SAMHD1

AKA Cree encephalitis, pseudo-TORCH

AR pattern

Presents in the first few weeks of life

Basal ganglia calcifications

CSF pleocytosis

HSM

Seizures (53%)

Fever (40%)

Puffy swelling of ears, fingers and toes with ulcers (43%)

Progressive delays and spasticity

On Jun 13, 2012, at 7:23 PM, Church, Joseph wrote:

> Colleagues:

> I will be seeing a 15yo Middle Eastern young man born to first cousins.

> He has had chronic upper airway infections (H. influenzae and S. pneumoniae), recurrent presumed bacterial pneumonias, two year history of cervical adenopathy, and recent onset of ataxia. He has had recurrent purpuric skin rashes on lower extremeties that last for ~3days. Biopsies suggested "dermal hypersensitivity reaction” with negative immunofluoresence.

> Vascular calcifications involving aorta, aortic arch were noted.

> Ataxia was thought to be secondary to CNS calcifications (? confirmed)

> Development is reportedly normal.

> Limited labs available include the following:

> WBC 10,700 with 37% eosinophils

> CD4 332↓ IgG 21.1 g/L↑ Hepatitis and HIV screening negative.

> CD8 18% IgA 6.19 g/L↑

> CD19 892 IgM <0.1 g/L↓

> NK 152 IgE 1200 u/ml↑

> Mandibular mass biopsy: salivary gland with diffuse lymphocytic infiltrates.

> I am unaware of any immunosuppressive therapy.

> If this (rather incomplete) picture suggests any genetic syndrome, I would appreciate any help.

> Thanks.

> Joe Church

> Children's Hospital Los Angeles

> <mg_info.txt>