[CIS PIDD] [CIS-PAGID] 8 year old girl with mitochondrial disorder and severe infections

Bodo Grimbacher bodo.grimbacher at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Tue Jun 19 11:38:55 EDT 2012

Dear all,

not as a differential for this girl, but
I would not be surprised if inherited primary mitochondrial disorders have
an immunodeficiency.
The pathophysiology of Kostmann's disease (Hax1 deficiency) points towards
the primary involvement of the mitochondria in neutropenia.
(Klein et al., Nat Genet. 2007)

also not as a differential for this case, but in general in the adult PID
field,
PROMM, also called Curshman-Steinert, or muscular dystropy type 2, caused
by a quatruple repeat expansion in ZNF9,
can manifest as PID (mainly antibody deficiency) and also has autoimmunity
and endocrinopathies.

PROMM (DM2)

Mutation: Extension of CCTG-repeat in intron 1 of the ZNF9 zinc finger
transcription factor

Epidemiology: most patients come from Poland or Germany, all derive from
Europe, in Germany DM2 is as common as DM1, approx. 380 patients with DM2
reported

Clinical manifestation: electrical myotonia 90%, weakness
82%, low IgG 65%,
high gGT 64%, musclepain
62%, cataracts 61%, diabetes
23%, cardiac involvement
19%, low IgM 11%, muscle atrophy
9%, normal IgA (!), mental
retardation (!)

A good review is attached.

Best,
Bodo

CCI - Centre of Chronic Immunodeficiency
University Hospital Freiburg
GERMANY