[CIS PIDD] MBL deficiency

Anete S Grumach grumach at usp.br
Thu Jun 21 19:16:45 EDT 2012

Dear Richard,

It is difficult to know if MBL deficiency is the main cause of the
infections. Polymorphisms leading to low or undetectable MBL levels are
common in the population. Most of the publications show relevance when MBL
deficiency is associated with other diseases, leading to higher severity.
It is the case for CVID and Cystic fibrosis.
It has been published plasma derived MBL infusion for MBL deficient
patients.
There are report of MBL polymorphism associated with MASP2 deficiency and
susceptibility to infections. In addition, a recent report of Ficolin 3
def. with recurrent infections.

Valdimarsson H, Vikingsdottir T, Bang P, Saevarsdottir S, Gudjonsson JE,
Oskarsson O, Christiansen M, Blou L, Laursen I, Koch C. Human plasma-derived
mannose-binding lectin: a phase I safety and pharmacokinetic study. Scand J
Immunol. 2004 Jan;59(1):97-102.

Garred P, Pressler T, Lanng S, Madsen HO, Moser C, Laursen I, Balstrup F, Koch
C, Koch C. Mannose-binding lectin (MBL) therapy in an MBL-deficient
patient with
severe cystic fibrosis lung disease. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2002 Mar;33(3):201-7.
Anete