[CIS PIDD] advise on an 11mo old male

Dr. Carsten Speckmann carsten.speckmann at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Sat Jun 23 04:33:37 EDT 2012

Hey,

making the diagnosis in leaky SCID can be quite a challenge.
Kerstin Felgentreff reviewed the published and our experience with this
last year - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21664875
In summary assessment of T cell numbers, PHA response, g/d T cells and
naive T cells are very helpful.
No parameter has a 100% sensitivity but most patients will show changes
in 2/4 of these items.
We therefore usually recommend to work up these items thoroughly in kids
like yours.
We also currently use these parameter as entry criteria for a
prospective study on these conditions - www.pcid-study.org

What confuses me a bit when looking at your case is the discrepancy of
almost nl naive Ts but low TRECs (which are pobably measured at
different time points?). Is there a chance that you can obtain the
original newborn screening card (in case Amish children are screened?)
to look for TREC levels at birth? Low levels there will certainly point
towards a disturbed thymic output, although in some CID they might be
normal. In those case determination of KRECs might also be useful (also
if specific abs are present):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22578972
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22664165

Although lab parameters of your case seem to point towards a CID, the
infection pattern is not so typical and you probably also screened for
chronic viral diseases (EBV, CMV, Adeno), which I assume are negative?
The results of the burst assays are also odd and I would sort this out
(ideally in an infection free period if possible). FTT and sepsis due to
pseudomonas could also point towards a TLR defect.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21734245
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21057262

I agree with all the others that sorting out the underlying diagnosis
should not delay a timely preparaton of SCT.

Carsten

--
Dr. med. Carsten Speckmann
Facharzt