[CIS PIDD] some help from Chile

Jason W. Caldwell jcaldwel at wakehealth.edu
Thu Jul 5 09:49:44 EDT 2012

This is a very intriguing case to me. I have a very similar patient. She was diagnosed with MS, has had recurrent sepsis (most recent Enterobacter), and has autoimmune thyroid disease. She came to me for recurrent sinus infection and a pneumonia with respiratory failure. She too was on rituximab in the past and has had several cycles. My patient also has had low IgG, but her IgA is low as well. When I checked her tetanus and dip titers where normal, but she had no response to Pneumovax. The other intriguing similarity is that she had <1% memory B cells.

Anyway, with this picture I did start Ig replacement and she has had a reduction in sinopulmonary infections. She did have the recent Enterobacter sepsis that is unexplained, but really is over all better. It will be hard to say for sure if the rituximab is the cause or she started with underlying CVID. I also have several patients that have been on rituximab for a various reasons (Burkit's lymphoma, RA, Churg-Straus, lupus) that seem to not recover B cell numbers and/or function. I treat these patients with Ig replacement.

I would vote for giving replacement Ig.
I will be interested to see what other say about your case and question. I would also be interested in any comment about long term B cell dysfunction after rituximab.

Jason Caldwell
Wake Forest University.