[CIS PIDD] APECED & lung transplantation

Desa Lilic desa.lilic at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 06:29:34 EDT 2012

Dear all,

We have a young lady (26 yr) who has antibody deficiency & APECED - MC,

HP, Addison, Autoimmune hepatitis, Lymphocytic Interstitial pneumonitis

and autoimmune ovarian failure (see attached summary for more details).

She has bad bronchiectasis ( being managed by our CF colleagues) with

deteriorating lung function. Given the rapidity of deterioration in her

lung function, the lung physicians are considering a referral

for assessment for a lung transplant.

1. Are you aware any lung transplantations in the AIRE Mutation /

APECED cohort ? (no published reports; I have liaised Jaakko

Perheentupa - none in the Finnish cohort; )

1. Risk of invasive candidiasis with significant immunesuppresion (

>aware of the report on renal transplant - there was no invasive

>candidiasis)

1. Prognosis and life expectancy of a typical APECED patient with HP,

Adr failure, autoimmune hepatitis. To make an reasoned case for lung

>transplant

1. Thoughts on simultaneous Thymic transplant ?

1. Does the diagnosis of APECED in any way influence ones decision

making process for eligibility of a lung transplant and risk benefit

analysis ?

1. She is on Azathioprine for autoimmune hepatitis. One of the

discussion points in our MDT was whether she would benefit form

rituximab - to rx a potential ongoing interstitial inflammation in her

lung.

Would be grateful for your thoughts / comments.

Desa

Desa Lilic, MD, MSc, PhD, FRCPath
Consultant & Clinical Senior Lecturer in Immunology
Institute for Cellular Medicine
4th Fl Cookson Bldg
Faculty of Medical Sciences
University of Newcastle