[CIS PIDD] Angioedema in CVID

Riedl, Marc MRiedl at mednet.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 16 17:11:53 EDT 2012

Kate -

1) Does he take any medications other than IVIG?
2) Has he been on high-dose antihistamines (4x labeled doses) for a
prolonged period?
3) Given that this "lasts for weeks", has a tissue biopsy been done?

Marc

Marc Riedl, M.D., M.S.
Associate Professor of Medicine
Section Head, Clinical Immunology and Allergy
UCLA - David Geffen School of Medicine
10833 Le Conte Ave, 37-131 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1680
Tel 310.206.4345 Fax 310.267.009

On 8/16/12 1:56 PM, "Sullivan, Kathleen" <sullivak at mail.med.upenn.edu>
wrote:

>The CIS-PIDD listserv is supported by:

>Clinical Immunology Society - The science & practice of human immunology

>P: +1.414.224.8095

>E: info at clinimmsoc.org

>Not a member of CIS? Please visit www.clinimmsoc.org to join!

>Hi all-

>Appreciate any thoughts.

>15 year old boy who has CVID-specific antibody deficiency. He doesn't

>quite fulfill the diagnosis for CVID (low IgG only and poor vaccine

>immunoglobulin replacement ever since. He did quite well until a year

>ago when he started developing angioedema. The episodes are ALWAYS head

>and neck. He does have an allergic disposition and has had a few

>episodes of hives in his life and has required an inhaler for asthma

>since a young age but his allergies have not been a big deal.

>This angioedema is a HUGE deal. Starting a year ago, he has had

>angioedema over half the days and has been in the ICU multiple times.

>Here is what we know:

>Labs:

>Normal functional C1 esterase inhibitor

>Normal serial tryptases

>Normal eosinophil count

>Normal thyroid studies

>Clinically:

>The episodes are unpredictable and can be a little blip or a massive

>swelling that lasts for weeks.

>The do NOT respond to steroids, Firazyr, high dose IVIG

>The only thing the episodes respond to is epinephrine and he has had

>massive amounts of epi. Although he responds, the swelling recurs until

>it has run its course.

>Any thoughts????? We are running out of options.

>Kate

>Kate Sullivan, MD PhD

>Professor of Pediatrics

>ARC 1216 Immunology CHOP

>3615 Civic Center Blvd.

>Philadelphia, PA 19104

>(p) 215-590-1697

>(f) 267-426-0363

IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner. Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from your computer.