[CIS PIDD] Angioedema in CVID

Vickery, Brian Patrick bvickery at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 16 19:44:21 EDT 2012

Hi Kate:

Agree with checking C4 and C1q, but if the swelling responds well and fairly quickly to epinephrine, it is unlikely to be kinin-mediated. Also agree with trying suppression with antihistamines and titrating to effect with high doses as Marc recommends. Obviously if antihistamines work – and it sounds like it wouldn't take long to figure it out – great; but would have a low threshold to use prednisone to gain control especially if there is significant morbidity. One other thought, kind of crazy, but the lone star tick is wandering up into Jersey and Maryland and poised to invade PA if it hasn't already (Figure 4: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3085643/). IgE to alpha gal?

BPV

Brian P. Vickery, MD
Assistant Professor Of Pediatrics
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
Campus Box #7231 | Chapel Hill, NC 27599
919.962.5136 | bvickery at email.unc.edu<mailto:bvickery at email.unc.edu>