[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Difficult patient

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Mon Nov 26 10:51:51 EST 2012

Hi Joe, good afternoon

I have seen two patients with CNS manifestations in the context of CVID.

The first of them is a young female sent to evaluation of ALPS: she had Evans syndrome and high double-negative T cells; she presented low levels of all Ig isotypes and improved after IVIg replacement (500 mg/kg/month). One year later she developed hemiparesthesia and hemiparesis diagnosed as CNS vasculitis by brain biopsy. After high dose steroids and IVIg for 5 months she improved and is now alive and well , without relapse of CNS disease.

The second one was previously diagnosed as CVID and started to present seizures and localization signs, diagnosed as ADEM. She was treated as for herpesvirus and immunosuppressed improving for approximately one year and later started to present neurodegenerative features evolving to death.

There are some cases of "sarcoid" manifestations of CVID in CNS.
In some cases of "sarcoid" manifestations in the lungs and lymphnodes I tried to use hydroxychloroquine (400 mg/day), as suggested by Charlotte Cunningham-Rundles, with good responses in three cases.

Best regards,

Dewton

Dewton de Moraes Vasconcelos
University of São Paulo School of Medicine