[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Possible CVID case

Seppänen Mikko Mikko.Seppanen at hus.fi
Wed Jan 9 07:31:34 EST 2013

Dear Jag,

I would love to hear as well whether she is able to make IgE (lacks in appr. 90%? of CVIDs). Also, what are the actual titers (and the method to assess them), do YOU define protective titers as >0.35 (which many pediatricians also in the US follow), >0.65 (which best differentiated in British-Finnish material), or like suggested in the US Practice Parameter >1.3 (or some other threshold)?

And like all others, whether there is bronchiectasis or other PAD associated conditions (or also emphysema and nasal polyposis as well to suggest MHCII def)? Smoker? Asthma and corticosteroids p.o. against this (would be the most common cause in our hospital)?

Are there necrotic skin infections or like (??) to suggest MyD88/IRAK4 (and low mBs and subclasses due to those?), detectable (?) total complement defs (other than MBL), anything to suggest SGD (hyposegmented neutrophils?low chemotaxis? skin infections)?, hyposplenism (acquired/primary?) /Howell-Jolly in smear, is either nasal Ex-NO, saccharine test normal or cilia biopsy is normal (? 4 pneumonias + recurrent sinusitis and normal specific antibodies in a youngish woman would be a cause to exclude ciliary dyskinesias )....

....we are left with the occasionally occuring IgG (IgG2)+/-IgA +/- IgM, low, smB low patient with normal responses. There is no consensus on how to treat these (in this PAGID list or elsewhere), they might represent an independent subset of PADs or CVID in the making (follow up at least, also the specific titers). I have a few such patients, I have personally chosen to treat IF ab prophylaxis does not keep the pneumonias away and IF there IS bronchiectasis (but physiotherapy important as well) or rapidly deteriorating LFTs in follow up.

Also, if most serotypes are <0.65, I would first vaccinate with Pneumovax and definitely check the responses, severe local reactions would then be rare (seen just one in >15 years).

Hope this helps,
Yours

mikko seppänen, md phd, assistant prof
Finland