[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] infections, rash, failure to thrive, recurrent hyperosmolar dehydration

Eli Eisenstein emeisenstein at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 09:01:46 EST 2013

Hello to all,

We are seeking help concerning a 4.5 month old Palestinian Arab
infant, parents first cousins. Two sibs have mild non-ketotic
hypergyceinemia, the patient does not.

Clinical phenotype

Recurrent invasive bacterial infections beginning during the first
weeks of life:
MRSA bacteremia
Peri-anal abscess (Pseudomonas, enterobacter)
Pneumonia, Burkhoderia cepacia cultured from purulent BAL. There is
some question as to whether this organism was a contaminant, as it was
identified in BAL fluid from other patients around the same time.

Diffuse seborrheic derm, steroid responsive, atrichia

Failure to thrive with loose stools. Three acute bouts of
gastroenteritis with fever resulting in severe hyperosmolar
dehydration within hours.

In addition congenital heart disease- huge ASD with L-R shunt and
pulmonary hypertension.

Immune workup thus far:

Thymus radiographically present

IgM- 1310, IgA-126, IgG-1310

Immunophenotype
CD2 4220
CD3 3720
CD4 2290
CD8- 1430
CD3 CD45RA- 5580
CD3CD45RO- 620
CD19 1364
CD20 1300
CD18 99%+
HLADR 1612
CD56+16 1180

Normal lymphocyte proliferative responses to lectin mitogens,
antigen/IL2 stim not done.

Limited colonoscopy- no IBD
Endoscopy- macroscopic duodenitis, microscopy non-specific

Additional studies graciously performed by our colleagues at other
centers in Israel include the following:

DHR- normal. Normal PMN morphology and chemotaxis.

TREC quantitative – 754 copies/0.5 mcg DNA (normal for lab >400)

CD25, FoxP3 staining comparable to control. Normal glucose. TSH
moderately elevated, autoantibody studies negative. IgE 16, 100 two
months later.

Staining of 24 TCRVb families showed significant skewing. In
particular among CD3CD8+ cells several Vb were not represented, 40% of
cells Vb23+.

Evaluation by FISH and STR negative for materno-fetal engraftment

In short, this child appears to have some form of PID but we do not
feel we have immunologic proof. We are considering WES. Other
suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Eli Eisenstein
Hadassah