[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Patient question

Rosenzweig, Sergio (NIH/NIAID) [E] srosenzweig at niaid.nih.gov
Tue Mar 5 14:44:01 EST 2013

Joe,
I know that this is not exactly what you was asking, but in order to reply to a reviewer I had to spend several hs looking for scientific evidence on how many infections normal kids (as the ones your pt is expecting to raise) develop per year. Here is what I found: 3-10 upper respiratory infections plus 1-4 otitis media per year, most of these viral infections (Henderson et al; NEJM 1982:306, 1377-1383; Chonmaitree et al; CID 2008:46, 815-823…fortunately, numbers fall within the range of what I knew on a non-scientific basis).
Sergio

Sergio D. Rosenzweig, MD, PhD
LHD, NIAID, NIH