[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] patient with Bruton and refractory pericarditis

Conley, Mary Ellen mconley at uthsc.edu
Wed Mar 6 11:57:13 EST 2013

I have not seen pericarditis in XLA but I wonder if an enterovirus might be causing the problem. It may be that Coxsackie caused the knee arthritis at presentation and it is now causing the pericarditis. I have been impressed that the enteroviruses can be asymptomatic for many years and then cause encephalitis. When the patients are on good doses of gammaglobulin, it is very, very hard to document an enteroviral infection, even by PCR.

There is a paper in the February 2013 issue of Journal of Cardiology that suggest that steroids help Coxsackie induced pericarditis in a mouse model but only early after infection. If your trough levels of IgG are greater than 1000 mg/dl, I doubt that more will help.
Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Conley, MD
West Research Tower
LeBonheur Children's Hospital