[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] 17 yr old WF with CVID and neutropenia

dmvascon at usp.br dmvascon at usp.br
Wed May 29 14:01:17 EDT 2013

Dear Dr. Javeed Akhter

I would try to detect the possible virus in this context.
Initially I would look for autoantibodies that could be relevant for neutropenia.
Afterwards I would get a bone marrow biopsy (maybe initially a myelogram) with PCR for myelotrophic viruses. Sometimes in the event of severe suppression of myeloid lineage the response to filgrastim is delayed.
If all negative I would think about steroids (pulse) or maybe mycophenolate mofetil.
If autoantibodies positive I would think about Rituximab again ( with plasmaferesis??)
I would not try to do splenectomy as CVID patients usually begin to present more severe infections.

Good luck with your patient

Dewton

Dewton de Moraes Vasconcelosm M.D.; Ph.D.
University of São Paulo School of Medicine