[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Patient with CVID, inguinal lymphadenopathies and lymphedema

Patar patar20000 at yahoo.es
Thu Jun 13 22:25:13 EDT 2013

Hi I like to ask your opinion about this case:

Man
40 years old
In 2002 he presented with bilateral inguinal lymphadenopathies, malaise, without fever or elevation of inflamatory parameters. Biopsy of inguinal lymphadenopathies: suppurated granulomas without any microbiological agent found.

>From then on, we has had intermitently periods of inguinal pain, diarrhea and arthralgias of hands and axial spine ( without synovitis).

In 2007 he had another inflammation of inguinal adenopathies. Biopsy describes a polyclonal lymphocitic hyperplasia.
He received prednisone at high doses and Azulfidine without clinical response.
2008: the diagnosis of CVID was made based in a midly low level of IgG (600 aprox) and poor response to polysacharides and protein vaccines.
He has no history of recurrent infections.
Familiar medical history: father died of Non Hodking lymphoma and had a history of recurrent sinopulmonary infections.

>From then on he received monthly infusions of IVGG with improvement of arthralgias. However we continued having inflammation in inguinal lymph nodes with appearence of mild lymphedema in lower extremities ( confirmed by isotopic lymphocintigraphy).

He had received metothrexate and hidroxyclorochine ( up to 4,5 mg/ kg) with persistence of inflammatory inguinal adenopathies and intermitent autolimited periods (he uses naproxen) of arthralgias and diarrhea ( wihout elevation of inflammatory parameters).
He has normal scanner of abdomen, pelvis and thorax. Normal upper endoscopy and colonoscopy
He is very worried about the eventual progression of lower extremities lymphedema.

¿ what would you offer him?

Kind regards

Patricia Roessler
Alergia e Inmunología