[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] VS: Puzzling Case

Seppänen Mikko Mikko.Seppanen at hus.fi
Wed Jun 19 02:14:38 EDT 2013

Dear Joseph,

since anti-C1q is positive (high titers?) and biopsy is urticarial vasculitis (the rash does stay put in one place for days, right?), if no additional CP- or AP autoantibodies/deficiencies (I would also test for C1r-, C1s-, total C2-defs) are found, sounds like "just" HUVS/hypocomplementemic urticaria vasulitis to an adult physician, though I definitely have never ever heard/read of such a young patient (reason why it makes one think even of ultrarare early CP factor defs as well as rare AP defs, especially since she has other autoantibodies as well= RF, anti-neutrophil)? Has anyone in the forum had/seen/heard of such young HUVS-patients?

Or what are her Treg levels? Exome seq would give You all C gene sequences and and at the same time one could look for possible new AI PIDD? Nothing to suggest IPEX, IPEX-like or APECED? Endocrine autoantibodies? Testing each of the above-mentioned genes individually would be much more costly than exome/genome? If I understood correctly, she might have Evans, and the chance to find PIDD as a cause at her age would thus be high...

Adult HUVS patients are very hard to treat satisfactorily, and COPD-like severe lung damage develops insidiously though takes years to develop, and I am not aware of any larger series on success of Lung Tx (I once posted a Q of this to the forum, no answers) in such cases. So if it turns out to be any sort of HUVS, with all available means I definitely would follow her lung functions (challenging at her age?).

If it turns out to be HUVS+ an AP/CP defect and severe lung damage does develop... lung+liver Tx????? Please keep us posted on what was eventually found.

mikko
Mikko Seppänen, MD PhD
Helsinki, Finland