[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] 2 year old girl with possible SCID

Dr. Carsten Speckmann carsten.speckmann at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Sat Aug 17 05:14:04 EDT 2013

Normal naive cells and proliferation argue against a classic (S)CID.
However, the clinical presentation with susceptibility to bacterial/viral infections and immune dysregulation (plt?/spleen) is suspicious...

Maybe the defect is more subtle - e.g. a problem of T cell activation.
Can you check for "early T cell activation": e.g. CD25, CD69 upregulation? Any signs for ectodermal dysplasia (e.g. teeth)? Ca Flux?

How good was the coverage for the VDJ defect genes in the panel diagnostics? RAG1/2, Artemis really excluded?
I would also add radiosensitivity to the diagnostic programm.

Is there g/d T cell expansion?
(which we frequently observe in our prospective natural history study on CID - www.pcid-study.org)

What was the nature of thrombocytopenia? Autoimmune?

We have seen T-B-, hypogamma and transient (non autoimmune) thrombocytopenia during viral infection as first presentation of Dyskeratosis congenita (without other presentation of DC at this stage).
Naive Ts and proliferation are frequently normal in these children: telomeres?

Based on the reported clincal problems of your patient, I would consider SCT as a possible (not mandatory) therapeutic options (but certainly search for a donor to be prepared in case of clincial aggravation).

Kind regards, Carsten

--
Carsten Speckmann, MD
Consultant Immunologist