[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] VS: Adenopathy in patient with Hyper-IgM syndrome

Seppänen Mikko Mikko.Seppanen at hus.fi
Wed Aug 28 05:48:12 EDT 2013

Dear Howard

I have had a BIT similar patient:
(If my memory serves me right in details) at the time of dg 17-y old male, but

a) with CVID (severe panhypogamma, though possibly never verified with vaccine responses due to eagerness to try to treat symptoms with IVIg),

b) necrotizing lymphadenitis (mostly upper body/neck) and then

c) worsening memory-deficit with practically normal MRI

... whom we first thought had CVID+Kikuchi, then CVID+ neuro-SLE, but he turned out to be substance abuser: IVDU, other drugs as well.

Necrotizing lymphadenitis can be seen as a sort of foreign body/allergic reaction occasionally in substance abuse, so You might want to check his patient history and ask the pathologists further whether any signs of this.

My patient: never would have thought (even as a skeptical ID doctor) him as IVDU..... His girlfriend (even presently) had the guts to tell. He is off drugs now (!), but still has very poor memory.

mikko seppänen
MD PhD, associate prof
Immunodef Unit
Helsinki University Central Hospital